Weekends have changed since getting a puppy. What was once a time to relax, catch up on the gym, cooking and seeing friends and family has become puppy training 101. Going to work every day and having to leave this adorable pup at home is super hard. It’s only made easier knowing we’ll have the weekends to spend with him.
And with that, I bring you: Meaty. Broken. Lasagna. Skillet.
Weekends are for lasagna. And while I typically enjoy the process of strategically layering sauce, cheese and pasta, with a puppy nipping at my toes, I was a bit too occupied to dedicate the time. In need of an easy way out without sacrificing flavor or texture, I went the one-pot route.
But seriously. There are no sacrifices with this dish. My husband literally ate 3/4 of this dish, going back for seconds, thirds and EVEN fourths. I had just enough leftovers for lunch today.
This will quickly become a staple in our weekly dinner rotation. This recipe is so easy – to cook and clean, it could even graduate lasagna from weekend-only dinners to a week night dinner!
Meaty Broken Lasagna Skillet
The easier, tastier lasagna.
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 dried basil leaves
- 3/4 pound of lasagna noodles, broken
- 24 ounce can/bottle of tomato sauce
- 1 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup curly parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the ground sausage and ground beef to a large cast iron skillet and cook over medium heat while stirring. Once the meat is mostly cooked add the diced onion to cook.
- When the onion is translucent and soft and meat is cooked through add the minced garlic. Cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add seasonings and stir. Break the lasagna noodles over the skillet. Press the noodles down as much as possible into the meat mixture.
- Add the tomato sauce and water to the skillet. Stir to combine. Cover the pan and allow to simmer over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- While the noodles cook, mix together the ricotta cheese and parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
- Once the noodles are softened top with the ricotta/parmesan cheese mixture. Next, layer with mozzarella cheese.
- Place cast iron skillet in preheated oven for 7-9 minutes until top is bubbly and beginning to brown.
- Serve and top with fresh parsley.