Move over pot of gold! This St. Patrick’s Day is all about the Instant Pot.
Okay, I admit it. I’m addicted to my Instant Pot. Another classic slow-cooker recipe for me is Corned Beef and Cabbage. I typically wake up bright and early every St. Patrick’s Day to throw together all of the ingredients for a delicious corned beef and cabbage. And while this is a delicious way to get a super tender and rich flavor, I felt this could also be achieved in the magical Instant Pot.
As can be expected, this recipe was easily thrown together in matter of minutes and took a fraction of the time as my traditional slow-cooker method with ALL of the same ingredients. To kick-off, I stew the chopped corned beef, sliced garlic and bottle of beer on the meat/stew setting. Once the steam is released, I throw in my veggies – red potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage.
My secret ingredient for corned beef and cabbage is tomato paste! This pantry MVP is a must-have for stews and I think corned beef and cabbage is no exception. I understand it may not be the most traditional add-in for this dish, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Once ready, enjoy with your favorite brew (dyed green, if you please) and feel a little bit more Irish on this festive day.
Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
Your new go-to for a quick and easy St. Patrick's Day dish!
- 3lbs corned beef and spice packet, chopped
- 6-8 red potatoes
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 medium head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 (12-oz) bottle of beer
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- Place the corned beef, spice packet, garlic and beer in the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and close the steam valve. Press the “meat/stew” button, and set the cooker to 35 min of high pressure.
- Once steam is released (naturally or forced), open the lid and stir in the tomato paste, red potatoes, carrots, onion and cabbage.
- Secure lid and press the “meat/stew” button again, reducing the time to 5 minutes on high pressure.
- Release the pressure (naturally or forced) and add salt for taste as needed.
- Serve and enjoy!